by Nick Solari, Intern Writer from Quinnipiac University
June 19, 2013
- Cotuit won 6-3 over Orleans
- Elliot Caldwell (Spartanburg Methodist) got his first start of the season Wednesday night after injuring his thumb in a preseason scrimmage against the Lexington Blue Sox. He hit cleanup and played third base for the Kettleers, going 1-2 with a walk and a home run in the top half of the third. Caldwell was a defensive replacement in last night’s game and was hit by a pitch in his only at-bat.
- Max Shrock (South Carolina) also got his first start of the season. He hit in the six-hole, played third base, and went 0-for-4 with a strikeout.
- Adam Ravenelle (Vanderbilt) pitched for the first time on the Cape. He went two scoreless innings, giving up only one hit. He topped out on the radar gun at 96 miles per hour, and all 28 pitches he threw were fastballs.
- Ben Smith made his second start of the season for the Kettleers. He went 5.0 innings in the 6-3 Cotuit victory, gave up four hits, two runs, and struck out five. He earned the victory. His five strikeouts tonight puts him at seven for the season, tied for the team-lead with Alex Haines.
- Rhett Wiseman (Vanderbilt) stole his fourth base of the season, tying him for the team lead with Connor Castellano (Santa Fe JC).
- Bradley Zimmer started yet again in right field. He is the only Kettleers player to start in all seven games thus far.
- Mike Ford smacked his third double of the season, which leads the team. He is 3-for-7 in the last two days.
- Hunter Cole (Georgia) and Galli Cribbs Jr. (Clarendon) both extended their hitting streaks to three games in the victory. Cole is now five for his last eleven (.454)
- Cotuit stole five more bases on the season, raising their total to 20 in the first seven games.