By: Nick Solari, Writing Intern, Quinnipiac University
July 21, 2013
Y-D 4, Cotuit 3
In it for the Long Haul:
- Chris Ellis (Mississippi) went 7.0 innings today, the most he has gone in any start on the Cape this season.
- Ellis went the first 5.0 innings without giving up a run. He began the eighth inning on the hill, but walked Cole Peragine (Stony Brook) and gave up an RBI double to D.J. Stewart before being pulled for Joel Seddon.
- He was charged with three runs on the day.
Walk it Out:
- After having only one total walk in the prior two games, the first two Kettleers hitters walked in the top of the first inning on Sunday afternoon at Red Wilson Field.
- Yarmouth-Dennis starter Sam Lindquist (Stanford) walked the bases loaded with one out in the first before retiring two straight Cotuit hitters to get out of the inning unscathed.
Ole Miss Matchup:
- Kettleers starting pitcher Chris Ellis and Y-D’s Austin Bousfield played together at Mississippi this past season. Bousfield got the start today as the center fielder, and went 0-2 against his teammate with a sacrifice bunt and a strikeout.
Making an Impact:
- Austin Byler (Nevada) went 1-4 today with a double and a run scored. He is now 3-11 in his first three games with Cotuit. All three of his hits have been doubles, two yesterday and one today.
- Rhett Wiseman (Vanderbilt) had to more hits today, both doubles. He is now hitting .500 in his last four games, 8-for-16 from the plate.
- Danny Diekroeger (Stanford) was the only other Cotuit player with two hits tonight. He has now reached base with a hit in 14 of his 17 games with the Kettleers, and has a five game hitting streak.
- The Kettleers got the tying run to second base with two outs when Jake Fincher grounded to Y-D shortstop Taylor Smart (Tennessee), an advanced on an errant throw to first.
- Mark Payton (Texas) was the next hitter, he struck out looking on a 2-2 breaking ball to end the game.