By: Nick Solari, Writing Intern, Quinnipiac University
July 28, 2013
Cotuit 8, Y-D 3.
- The Kettleers added three new pitchers to the roster on Sunday afternoon. Right-handers Wesley Cox (Texas San Antonio) and Tommy Kister (The Masters Col), and left-hander Dalton Potts (Tennessee Martin) were all made available in the Cotuit bullpen prior to the start of the game against Y-D at Lowell Park.
- Chris Ellis (Ole Miss) and Alex Haines (Seton Hill) were both released from the roster.
- The Kettleers have now released 26 players over the course of the 2013 CCBL season. They have 27 on the active roster.
Ready to Go:
- Hunter Cole (Georgia) was back in the lineup today. He started in center field and batted eighth in the order, and went 1-4 with a run scored.
- Cole fouled a ball off of his knee last Monday in Bourne, and missed both Tuesday and Wednesday’s games before returning tonight.
Home Sweet Home:
- With the 8-3 win at Lowell Park the Kettleers improved to 21-15-1 on the season. They are now 16-5-1 at home, and 8-10 on the road.
Leading Things Off:
- Danny Diekroeger (Stanford) went 2-4 in tonight’s game batting from the leadoff spot. Diekroeger has now hit safely in eight straight games as the leadoff batter in the Kettleers lineup.
- He is 13-43 in his last ten games hitting, good for a .302 average.
Getting out of the Jam:
- John Hochstatter (Stanford) entered the game in the fifth inning with a Y-D runner on second and no outs with the game tied at three. He proceeded to get D.J Stewart (Florida St) to line out to third, struck out Jose Trevino (Oral Roberts), and got Brandon Downes (Virginia) to ground out to third to end the inning with the tie still in tact.
- Hochstatter then gave up a leadoff double in the sixth inning and was faced with another no-out runner on second situation. With the infield in the lefty induced two groundouts in a row, then an Auston Bousfield (Mississippi) to fly out to center field to end the inning unscathed once again.