By: NIck Solari, Writing Intern, Quinnipiac University
August 11, 2013
Cotuit 1, Bourne 8
Don’t Fix What isn’t Broken:
- Kettleers head coach Mike Roberts ran the exact same batting order out on to the field Sunday in Bourne as he had in Game 1’s 9-2 win a day prior.
- Diekroeger 3B
- Zimmer CF
- Jackson SS
- Wiseman LF
- Bryson DH
- Fincher RF
- Byler 1B
- Ratledge 2B
- Stubbs C
Starting Off the Right Way:
- Kettleers starting pitcher Tommy Kister (The Masters Col) retired the first ten Bourne batters he faced in Game 2.
- Kister walked Mason Robbins (Southern Mississippi) with one out in the fourth inning, then gave up his first hit to cleanup hitter Jeff Gardner (Louisville) two batters later. Kister also gave up three runs that inning, and Bourne never looked back.
Down By Way of the K:
- Bourne starter Christian Colletti (UConn) struck out eight Kettleers hitters in four scoreless innings. He struck out six of the first nine Cotuit batters he faced.
Tale of Two Tapes:
- After erupting for 13 runs on nine hits on Saturday at Lowell Park, the Kettleers only accounted for six hits and one run Sunday.
- There were 23 total hits between the two team’s Saturday, and 12 Sunday.
- The Kettleers left nine men on base, six of which were in scoring position.
- The Cotuit pitching staff walked two batters on Saturday, and five on Sunday. Four Bourne hitters walked in the bottom of the sixth inning, an inning in which they scored two runs without accounting for a hit.
- Cotuit third baseman Danny Diekroeger (Stanford) was the only player from either team with two hits in the game. Diekroeger also moved from his normal position of third base to short stop in the seventh inning.
- Michael Costello (Radford U) had a 20.0 inning scoreless streak on the Cape before tonight’s game. He gave up one run in 3.0 innings.
Winner Takes All:
- Bourne has now tied the series at one game apiece. The decisive Game 3 will be played between the two teams at Lowell Park in Cotuit tomorrow at 4 p.m. The winner advances to the Cape Cod Baseball League Championship Series.