By: Alexa Galloway, Field Reporter, Boston University
August 15, 2013
Cotuit 6, Orleans 1
Postseason MVP: Bradley Zimmer
Defense Saves the Day:
- Danny Diekroeger made a key defensive dive and stop in the seventh inning, robbing Ross Kivet (Kansas State) of an extra base hit to end the inning.
- Mark Payton also made a key play in the seventh, diving to his left and robbing the Firebirds of an extra base hit. The catch kept the Kettleers shutout going.
- Bradley Zimmer threw out a runner trying to take second base late in the game, as well.
- Cecilio threw 6 scoreless innings, gave up only 4 hits and 2 walks, 12 of his 18 outs were by the ground ball, struck out three
- Brian Miller got into trouble, recording only one out and loading the bases
- Cox saves the day again getting out of another important jam
Change in the lineup:
- The game’s lineup stayed the same with the exception of Rhett Wiseman who was replaced by Mark Payton in left field.
Dynasty in the Modern Era:
- Cotuit now has 14 championship titles since 1963, and 16 titles overall (more than any other organization).
- In the modern era, Orleans has faced Cotuit five times, more than any other team in the playoffs.
Breaking open the game:
- Diekroeger drove in the game’s first run, beating out an infield single on the right side of the diamond.
- Drew Jackson had an RBI single that brought in Mark Payton to make it 2-0
- Matt Troupe gave up a two-run single to Nolan Clark to seal the Firebirds’ fate